I was asked if I would like to review a Fellowes Powershred® 73Ci Cross-Cut Shredder. How useful this would have been at the time we were moving. The amount of out of date paperwork we had when we moved was unbelievable. We have a basic shredder that strip cuts but struggles with more than 2 sheets at a time and jammed up constantly so how could I refuse such a useful offer?
We have had a home shredder for more than ten years now, I feel it is important to protect yourself from potential scams, and on the plus side it makes great small pet bedding.
So what is the Fellowes Powershred® 73Ci Cross-Cut Shredder I hear you ask? What makes it better than the shredder I already have?
- Shreds 12 sheets per pass into 4x38mm cross-cut particles (Security Level P-4)
- 100% Jam Proof system eliminates paper jams and powers through tough jobs
- Patented SafeSense® Technology stops shredding when hands touch the paper entry
- Energy savings system reduces in-use energy consumption and powers down after periods of inactivity.
- 23 litre pull-out bin for easy emptying
- Patented SafeSense™ technology that ensures the safety of the user by automatically disabling the shredder when sensing hands or pets are too close to the paper feed
- With personal identity theft being a big concern, it is a really popular shredder
So we have been trying it out. We have tried it with crumpled up and straightened out paper, small bits of paper, as well as full sheets, and it has handled it all, no one paper jam.
The automatic sensor is a great idea, Bob loves to help granddad shred the paper, and this way you know the little ones are safe. We tried out this feature and it does work, there is a metal strip round the top of the paper feed, and if you brush your hand against it the machine stops.
I like the power save mode, means if you leave it plugged in and switched on ready to go then you just need to touch the front to "wake it up" and then feed in your paper. Certainly a boon for any household or workplace, ready to go when you want it but not using a lot of power on standby. The machine is very quiet in operation as you will hear on the video.
This product is also great as we tend to back up laptop information, documents, pictures and such like on to cd's/dvd's and it means instead of breaking them in half when we are finished with them we can shred them instead. Businesses hold much more sensitive information so this is a very handy feature.
I have added some of the out cuts to the end of the video, go and have a laugh.